Monday, January 9, 2012

Sensory issue child.

Have you ever noticed yourself as a parent how some try to "ignore" things? I was a very smart child growing up but always had problems with English. My parent's just said I wasn't trying hard enough. Of course back in the70's/ 80's/90's if you did certain things you were okay. My strong subjects were always math and science, I was in above average classes so they thought nothing was wrong but failed English all the time. Struggled was in 11th grade English in 12th grade, it was not fun, it was embarrassing. I always wondered if my parents were to get me more help how much I would have succeeded. It was never until I went to go do college where they give you test that they caught that I was Dyslexic. Most can tell in my writing but I will never stop writing it's one thing I love.

Onto the subject of this blog, is how parent's can ignore some of kids issues. Are they in denial? Are they embarrassed there child will not be "normal" . Can you tell me what a "normal" child is?! Is normal just average? Because having a gifted child is not normal either but yet parent's love to brag about that. Pozzy has sensory issues , always have . Most people don't know because I don't tell them, because you really can't notice unless your around her a lot , and it's not like i'm embarrassed, I just try not to treat her differently. I have noticed them since she was about 4-6 months , starting with her eating, she would not eat baby food, no "adult" food smashed, I even tried making it homemade. We just let her run her course and she just drank bottles for her first year with a few fruits in between. She always had belly issues too since she was a week old. Had to be on Elecare, which if you don't know what it is special formula. She was a spitter upper since day 3. She finally started eating foods around 15 months , crazy I know but it was her sensory issues. We had told our pediatrician since 4 months, she was not concerned, her weight was good and blood work was good. She said if she wasn't eating foods by 18 months then we will get her in.

Pozzy's speech was a little delayed (comparied to pookie) so we were worried there, as parents you hear of other's talk about when their baby talked, etc. All of a sudden around 18 months Pozzy just started speaking very well, better then pookie in somethings. Of course you hate to compare kids but it happens. Pozzy also get's overstimulated when there are crowds, or when she is super tired. She needs to decompress herself if she gets a little fussy, and she has learned to take herself of the situation and take her bottle and just go chill. She stomps her feet a lot , and will bang her head into things if she's mad or wants attention. If things aren't her way then forget it. You can just tell she is a little quirky and you know what I'm fine with that, but will not ignore the fact, even if the doctors say she's fine. She is the happiest child you could ever meet , so outgoing , friendly , and love's attention! She get's a lot of peoples attention when we are out because she is just so happy!

Most doctor's don't live with you to see the whole thing, which then get ignored. I'm hoping we can find a great pediatrician down here that will work with sensory issues. I love my kid no matter if she's quote "not normal" if she is a little quirky, it just might mean we have to work harder, which is a challenge but as a parent you have to be up for a challenge because we all know parenting is not an easy thing.

I will not stop bragging about the things she accomplishes either. We all know we hate those "bragger" moms like my kid is better then yours and I try not to do that , but sometimes your just proud and that is okay. One might be normal and one might not but they are both normal in my eyes!! But please as a parent , try not to ignore signs of your kid. You know your kid better then anyone else. I wish my parent's would have listened to me when I said I was trying harder in things when they wouldn't listen to me.


6 comments:

  1. Very good post. I am proud of some of the sensory things my son has, even though they can be problems sometimes. I try not to treat him different, but sometimes I have to adjust circumstances around him rather than him around everyone else.

    BTW, in all our chats (and even considering that I think you told me once), I really never considered that you were dyslexic! I just thought that the typos were from a frenzy mom trying to juggle a house and 2 kids! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really just wanted to get the post that as a parent , sometimes we just ignore things, are embarrassed. I really don't know why, Pozzy is her own child and I love it and wouldn't have her any other way and Pookie is well my drama filled one ! I love them both just the same. I really deep down wish my parent's would have just listened to me when I was growing up, instead of saying well you just need to try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true...Having 2 with sensory issues, different aspects of them too, makes it difficult. Ignoring or denial was never an option I could consider, it is not in my nursing nature. I hope you find a great doctor for that little cutie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your honesty! I sometimes wonder if having a child with challenges that you cannot see "outright" is more difficult for parents?! My son has Down syndrome so it is not an issue when people meet him, they know right away (but usually don't say anything) that he has Down's.

    I just read a good book by a local doctor/therapist/Waldorf trained women, you might want to check it out (it's not on Amazon, BTW): Healing Our Children by Susan R. Johnson MD, FAAP and her book is available online at the Rudolf Steiner College bookstore. And another book you might want to read, which I'm reviewing on my Kindle, is called Raising a Sensory Smart Child (co-written by a mom and a therapist and has been updated to include sensory issues in children!).

    I hope you don't mind if I link to your post on my Montessori and Special Needs blog!

    Best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No of course not! Thank you so much for the books! I have a nook and dying to read a book, you know I never thought about reading a book about raising a sensory child , never crossed my mind.

    Thank you so much! I love reading your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0