Sunday, January 8, 2012

Preschoolers need learning too

I'm a big one on teaching my kids things. There are a few people that can't afford preschool, in fact when I was a kid, I never was in preschool. I don't even know if there was any preschools in my town it was so small. But I had an amazing babysitter , called her my grandma, still am in contact with her after 29+ years ;) She taught me everything, cooking, baking, playing piano, how to write cursive before i was 5, tied my shoes (which was a big deal back then ) .

My whole point is kids can get ahead of the game even if you can't afford preschool. Only reason we can do a lot now is because of our transfer and living somewhere a lot cheaper then we used to. When we decided to move I knew Pookie wouldn't be in Preschool for awhile, there is a lot of waiting list down here. I knew I had to start teaching her . I looked online at homeschooling now legally you can't "homeschool " until age 7 i think in NC. But I wanted to do something with her instead of watching TV , reading books. First I went online and googled some homeschool preschool things. There are tons out there for printing out worksheets (must have a printer or go to library ) . http://www.education.com/worksheets/preschool/?cid=55000.0068267007&s_kwcid=TC|8363|free%20preschool%20worksheets||S|b|5489161015&gclid=CPHKuY2Mwq0CFQ9Y7AodQEaE_Q

I then went to the dollar tree (my favorite place to get things started) I never knew my daughter was obsessed with scissors, got her a writing pad (sometimes they are hard to find in the start of the new year) got glue sticks, construction paper. I just let her go to town :) it was fun !! markers, crayons (except i only get crayola ) but the rest come from the dollar store. They even have preschool books. only 1.00!!! I grabbed a BUNCH of them!! I even found some cute ones at walmart for 1.00 with stickers and they had to match the pattern. Pookie did them since 18 months old and figured it out , she loves them. What I'm getting at if your son or daughter is ready to learn , start teaching them (even 20 minutes) .

We are working on Spelling, I bought a bunch of Melissa and Doug toys this Christmas that are really good with educational . I have to say the work I have done with her has really paid off, even my husband tells me all the time, the teachers were. I'm glad that I continued on it. If i had the patients for homeschooling I would love too but for now I have Pozzy I can teach for another year or so :) and maybe volunteer at Pookies school!

Some activities you can do to make them learn without them knowing
  1. Let them put on their shoes (or try)
  2. Help you clean up
  3. Watch you cook dinner ( a lot of thing are taught in the kitchen , math such as measuring
  4. Help stir things if they need to be.
  5. Help sort clothes and count the socks.
  6. The matching game , you can even make some . great fun way of learning matching and memory . dollar store has a memory game too.
  7. Playdough / Painting / Even make your own playdough (super cheap and easy)
  8. taking walks and collecting things (even if its rocks)
  9. Reading a book at least 3 times a day .
  10. I let the girls feed the animals , it make them feel more important and independent .
Those are just somethings that aren't really "traditional" learning but it will help them!

Limit your TV time and i'm not saying not all day , we all need those days where an hour here and there . Instead of TV time we used it as Music time (mostly 80's music..lol) . I'm not saying my way is right and that's it. I'm just telling you I get compliments and there are cheap and easy ways of doing preschool in your home even if you think it's pointless it's not! They will be read for Kindergarten.

“It is true that we cannot make a genius. We can only give to teach child the chance to fulfil his potential possibilities.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0