Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homeschooling

To homeschool or not too ?

I have googled and done my researched my option on homeschooling. I read an interesting article the other day.

Me and my husband have been discussing homeschooling for many reasons. I love the concept of homeschooling, you can go the rate that my kid wants to, we can travel when we want too. My kids don't have to be embarrassed to ask questions if they are getting behind (like I was) . We also move a lot due to hubby's job so we would have more options .

I also feel like a lot of people bash parent's that home school their children. We will not be homeschooling because we have schools around here that we really like , also my oldest daughter's Montessori school goes for another couple of years. They are even thinking about making it past kindergarten which would be an amazing thing since we love the Montessori teaching and it fits for our oldest. Will it fit for our youngest, we wont know until she turns 3 years old so we have some time, in the mean time I do teach and have always practice Montessori in our house.

I also feel like homeschooling does not make your kids a weird outcast for society. People get this impression that kids home-schooled are introverted, socially awkward, become some serial killer or something. Kids really if you think about it don't get as much social interaction if you think about it. You have homeroom or go straight to class. Can't talk during class unless your working on a group project .. wait you might get to socialize 5 minutes before class starts if your not running from one class to another down at the other end of the building. You have your 45 minutes of lunch that you can hang out in. So we have almost an hour of socializing. Then you have gym class , and you might have a few other classes were you can socialize. But if you think about it 2 hours of day maybe 3 isn't that much. So what you "sit" in class with other kids is that really socializing? Homeschooling has a lot of groups in your area, also you can travel to meet up with other homeschooling groups. You can put your kids in sports just like any other kid, you can put them in church groups, you can sign up for other homeschooling and make playdates. There are so many more options plus you can do stuff doing the week days, etc. Plus if you think about it, there's always that "lonely" kid that sit's by themselves at public school that nobody talks to or wants to talk to. Maybe he/she would do better at homeschooling.

I really feel that each kid is different , some might do great at homeschooling, some might do better in a private school, some might do better in public. I have had friend's kids that have begged their moms to home-school. In fact I would have loved to have been homeschooled. I hated the "clique" in my school. I came from a very small small town , everyone knew everyone, it was so cliquish. I even wanted my mom to switch me out of schools. I think I would have done better but I had two parents that worked. My mom had to work for benefits , my dad owned his own business. I will never resent them from being a public school child. I just wish I could have maybe had the option.

Maybe someday I will home school my girls as I would love to, if I had the patients too! I think I need to learn that, plus both of my girls learn very differently .

I am 100% supportive of parents that want to home school their child. More power to them! If your keeping your kids active and they are learning things and being successful in it then it's wonderful!

Just do your part to look into public , private and homeschooling options. I think as a parent you make the best decision you can for your kids. We also know that in this economy that 2 people mostly have to work so they can't. This blog isn't meant for anyone to feel bad about not homeschooling. I just wanted to make a point that there is more to homeschooling then just a kid sitting in the house all day long not getting interaction. If a parent is very serious about homeschooling they will have their kids socializing , plus I know of a few families that get together daily and people take turns teaching different things.

Of course there are pro's and con's to everything! I just wanted to send some support to all my friends that home school , I feel that most of my friends get bashed at homeschooling their kids. You as a parent you know what is right for your child and we all do what we think is the best!

I also wanted to add that we shouldn't judge a parent by their decision!


2 comments:

  1. I agree that a lot of home schooling parents get blasted for no reason. I would love to homeschool my son, but it isn't realistic for him right now. At some point in the future it will be, or it won't. The deciding point will always be what us best for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.. we should do what's best for our kids. Home schooled kids get just as much education as public if not more. I love the idea. I just wold have to be dedicated.

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0